Apologies for the lack of a full breakdown of tonights game, but here are a few quick tips on what the Wolverines will have to do tonight to beat the Kansas Jayhawks:
1. Mitch McGary vs. Jeff Withey: Anyone who has watched the tournament has seen Withey be a big part of KU’s success. While I don’t agree with analysts basically making him sound like Anthony Davis, he is a presence defensively because of his size. Mitch McGary is physical enough to neutralize him. He has to if Michigan is to win.
2. Guarding Ben McLemore: McLemore has been cold so far in the tournament, but when he’s on he reminds me a ton of Ray Allen. Michigan cannot afford to revert back to their lack of perimeter defense or he will bury them. This is likely Tim Hardaway Jr’s assignment tonight.
3. Defense leading to offense: I’m of the opinion that Michigan played its best game of the year against VCU, beating them at their own game. If the Wolverines bring that defensive intensity, they will run the Jayhawks right off of the floor.
4. Getting everyone involved: A big reason Michigan is where they are is because other guys like GR3 and McGary have stepped up. If tonight becomes the Trey Burke show, it won’t bode well for them.
5. Get out to an early lead: Both teams will be hyped for this game, especially since they get to play in the “Jerrydome.” It is such a massive place that it may take some adjusting to get a feel for where the rim is at. The team that hits their shots early on will have a huge advantage going forward and their confidence will be key.
I’m looking forward to a classic game tonight. I don’t think Kansas is near as good as they’ve been made to be and Michigan isn’t getting the respect they deserve in my opinion. The game tips at 7:37 on CBS.